About the organization: Compass Family Services is a 100+ year old nonprofit working on the front lines of San Francisco’s homeless crisis. We provide families experiencing or at risk of homelessness with comprehensive support to address immediate needs and ensure long-term success.
About the team: The Childcare Support Services (CCSS) team empowers families through access to high-quality childcare. Case managers work with hundreds of families to find and keep childcare that enables both kids and parents to thrive. The team also provides long term case management to families to ensure stability and success.
Salary range: $24-$29 per hour based on languages spoken, education, and years of experience.
Location: 37 Grove St., SF (less than a block from Civic Center BART/MUNI). In-person 3-4 days per week.
Schedule: Mon – Fri, primarily during standard business hours
Organizational Core Competencies: Accountable / Adaptable / Client-centered / Collaborative / Committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging / Resourceful
- Screen families experiencing homelessness referred by Early Learning San Francisco (ELSF) for eligibility for a variety of local, state and federally subsidized childcare options in San Francisco.
- Manage a caseload of 50+ families to find and sustain childcare. Required frequency of contact varies depending on time/stability in childcare placement.
- Meet with families to assess their childcare preferences to ensure a good match of family need and site.
- Support families in reaching key childcare readiness milestones including gathering necessary identification and immunization records, addressing concerns around separation anxiety, and addressing barriers to childcare such as transportation, etc.
- Support families in locating and securing early childcare education programs.
- Coordinate with service providers, childcare providers, and Childcare Resource Coordinators to ensure successful placement into childcare.
- Engage in community outreach.
- Accompany parents to childcare programs or other community meetings, when needed.
- Support family programs including groups, classes or workshops.
- Regularly check in with clients who are placed into subsidized care. Support parents to ensure that the identified Early Childhood Education program is meeting their needs and the child is thriving in the program.
- Address and help resolve any communication challenges between families and their childcare providers.
- Provide enhanced referrals and connections to community resources, including but not limited to Coordinated Entry Access Points for shelter and housing problem solving, employment support, and other relevant community services.
- Help parents/caregivers identify employment or educational goals.
- Coordinate with partner employment agencies to offer referrals for families.
The Case Manager should have these skills:
- Fluent Spanish required
- Relevant experience in social work or a related field
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills
- Able to work independently and collaborate with colleagues
- Outstanding work habits: punctual, reliable, cooperative, team-oriented
- Direct and proactive communication with clients, staff and supervisors
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Suite of Programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.). Experience with Salesforce is a plus!
- Experience working in crisis situations and ability to assess and de-escalate quickly
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging work
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range: $24-$29 per hour based on languages spoken, years of experience, and education.
- Paid time off: 19 days of vacation your first year, 24 in your second. Also paid holidays, sick time, time off for education, family leave.
- Insurance: health, dental and vision insurance are fully covered by Compass for employees and dependent children.
- Retirement: after one year of work, Compass contributes an amount equal to 5% of your salary into a retirement account.
Location and Covid safety:
- Work location: 37 Grove St. (less than a block from Civic Center BART/Muni).
- Primarily in-person, 3-4 days per week in the office
- Covid vaccination required for all staff
- Covid precautions in the workplace: required masking in some spaces, air filtration, sanitizing
To Apply: Please apply through our online application.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act and California civil rights law, Compass Family Services will provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or candidate with a disability, unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship for the agency. Requests for reasonable accommodation apply to all aspects of the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please use the answer box for the final question of the job application to let us know.