About the organization: Compass Family Services is a 100+ year old nonprofit working on the front lines of San Francisco’s homeless crisis. We provide families experiencing or at risk of homelessness with comprehensive support to address immediate needs and ensure long-term success.
Salary range: $65,000 - $68,000 per year
Schedule: Full time, Monday - Friday, primarily during standard business hours
Location: 37 Grove St, San Francisco. Hybrid (~3-4 days per week in office).
Organizational Core Competencies: Accountable / Adaptable / Client-centered / Collaborative / Committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging / Resourceful
The Accounts Receivable Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for all aspects of the revenue/accounts receivable process, including processing and recording of revenue and contributions and supporting the Finance department in reporting, including data collection and analysis. This position works in close collaboration with the Development team, the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, and the Government Grants Administrator.
Specific responsibilities include:
Revenues & Receivables
- Perform all aspects of revenue accounting to ensure gifts and government contract related income is processed in a timely and accurate manner, including:
- Record cash, check, ACH, credit card, and pledge transactions weekly o Reviews supporting documentation and collaborates with others to appropriately code gifts, including pledges and revenue with donor restrictions
- Reconcile contributions within General Ledger and Salesforce CRM systems weekly
- Assist in the seamless, integrated coordination among systems and departments for the lifecycle of large and complex revenues, beginning with fundraising and culminating in closing out grants and government contracts
- Monitor the collection of government billings, and in collaboration with Development, the collection of pledges
- Monitor the stock donation account and works with banks, Development, and the Controller to ensure donors are identified and stocks are liquidated timely.
- Collaborate with Director of FP&A to ensure appropriate use of funds with donor restrictions, and prepare accurate and timely accounting for the release of donor restricted funds; reconcile net assets with and without donor restrictions monthly
- Reconcile all operating bank accounts
General Ledger, Systems & Reporting
- Reconcile revenue, accounts receivable, deferred revenue and other more complex monthly and quarterly general ledger account reconciliations assigned by the Controller on an accurate and timely basis.
- Generate internal reports for management, auditors, and tax preparers.
- Work with the Development and Learning & Impact teams to optimize the effective and efficient use of Salesforce, and to help ensure high quality data that supports both the accounting and CRM needs of the organization.
- Track cash management to inform the Controller when there is a risk of overdraft.
- Support the finance team with special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 3+ years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s Degree in finance or related field
- Interest and commitment to Compass Family Services' mission and goals
- Strong GAAP accounting skills; nonprofit accounting experience a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills with experience in accounting systems and excel; experience with MIP a plus
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and operate successfully in a cross-functional team environment
- Organized and comfortable working in a dynamic organization implementing changes and managing multiple deliverables
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging work
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range: $33.33 - $34.87 per hour, equivalent to $65,000 - $68,000 per year
- Paid time off: just under 4 weeks of vacation your first year, just under 5 in your second. Also paid holidays, sick time, family leave.
- Insurance: health, dental and vision insurance are fully covered by Compass for employees and dependent children. We also provide long term disability and life insurance.
- Retirement: after one year of work, Compass contributes an amount equal to 5% of your salary into a retirement account; this vests during years 2-5.
Location and Covid safety:
- Full in-person during training period, then in-person 3-4 days per week at 37 Grove Street, San Francisco
- Covid vaccination required for all staff, including booster when eligible
To Apply: Please apply through our online application.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act and California civil rights law, Compass Family Services will provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or candidate with a disability, unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship for the agency. Requests for reasonable accommodation apply to all aspects of the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please use the answer box for the final question of the job application to let us know.